Sometimes circumstances occur where an MSN user no more wants to run the account. It can be because there is no more use of the account anymore or maybe there are multiple accounts that are no longer required. Whatever are the reasons, there are different ways in which the users can easily remove MSN account from Windows 10. In this article methods to permanently as well as temporarily disable MSN account have been explained in the simplest possible way.
One important thing is that you cannot delete or remove an account from your system while signed in to it. And if you wish to, you will need to create an alternative login with a local account first.
Methods Available For MSN Account Removal from Windows 10
To remove MSN account from Windows 10, you need to delete the associated Microsoft account. Along with MSN, you will not be able to use all other Microsoft products and services. Still, you are sure that you want to proceed with this, the steps for the same have been provided below.
Method 1: Removing MSN account from Control Panel
The simplest way in which the users can remove MSN account from Windows 10 is through Control Panel. Easy steps in which the users can successfully remove their MSN account have been discussed below.
- Press Windows + X and select Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel you will find Users Accounts. Tap on this option.
- If you do not see this option, click on the View by drop-down arrow and select ‘Large icons’.
- Now, under the Users Account, click the ‘Manage another account’ link.
- A list of all the accounts present in your system will appear on the screen.
- Click on the Microsoft account you want to delete and then select the ‘Delete the account’ option.
- A window appears asking if you want to keep the files relating to this account.
- If you want to keep all your personal files, click on Keep Files. If not select don’t keep the files.
Method 2: Steps to Delete MSN Account through netplwiz
Another way to delete MSN account from Windows 10 is through the netplwiz. All you need to do is go to Run (Windows + R) and type netplwiz > enter. The User Accounts window will appear on screen showing all the Microsoft account inside your system. Select the account you want to remove from the list and click on Remove.
One thing you need to check is that if you have auto-login enabled. If it is then you have to check the ‘Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer’ box before the list of accounts appears.
Method 3: To Remove MSN Account Login via Settings App
Third method for removing MSN account is through the settings app. You can open this app by clicking on the Start button and selecting Settings option or directly through ‘Windows + I’.
- Once the Settings page appear, click on the Accounts option.
- Select ‘Family & other users’ option from the left pane of Accounts menu.
- Carefully select the account you want to delete, and then click on Remove button.
- A confirmation dialog box appears asking if you are sure about deleting the account. Once you provide the confirmation, your MSN account gets deleted.
How To Temporarily Remove MSN Account From Windows 10?
If you want, you can also disable your MSN account instead for completely removing it from your system. The steps to disable MSN account from Windows 10 have been provided below.
Method 1: Block MSN Account with Group Policy
Temporary removing MSN from your system is preferred over complete removing it by many users. So if you also desire to block Microsoft Account, here’s how you can do it via Group Policy Editor Window.
In the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. A Local Group Policy Editor window will open on the screen. Go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings and tap on Security Settings.
Now select Local Polices and then click on Security Options. Double-click on ‘Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts’ to open its properties. Go to Local Security Setting tab and click on the drop-down menu. Three options will appear namely, ‘This policy is disabled’, ‘Users can’t add Microsoft accounts’ and ‘Users can’t add or log on with Microsoft accounts’.
Selecting ‘Users can’t add Microsoft accounts’ will prevent the users from adding a new Microsoft account. This also means that one can’t switch a local account to Microsoft account but can still log on with the existing Microsoft account.
Selecting ‘Users can’t add or log on with Microsoft accounts’ will prevent the users from adding a new Microsoft account. Along with this, the existing Microsoft account will also disappear from Windows sign-in screen. Before applying this policy, you are required to switch to local account first.
Click on the Apply button and then on ‘OK’ to apply the desired policy. You need to sign out or restart your computer for the policy to take effect.
Method 2: Block MSN Account with Registry Editor
Group Policy Editor cannot be found in all versions of Windows 10. In case your Windows 10 version does not support Group Policy Editor, you can block MSN account through the Windows Registry. Follow the steps given below for the same.
- In the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc and press enter to open Registry Editor.
- When the Registry Editor appears on the screen, navigate to the following location: Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
- In the right pane, set NoConnectedUser value to 1 to block users from switching to Microsoft account, or to 3 to block users from either adding or logging on with Microsoft account.
- If you do not find the option NoConnectedUser, right-click on the empty space to create a DWORD value and name it as No Connected User.
- To bring this change into effect, you are required to restart your system.