One of the main reasons why a lot of users prefer email communication is the ease of sending attachments. As long as you are connected to the Internet, it is very simple to attach and send files using emails. But, sometimes, many users grumble that they can’t view or open email attachments from MSN email. This problem can occur due to a variety of possible reasons that can at your end or the end of your sender.
Regardless of the reasons, the situation can be very annoying when you are unable to view MSN Email attachments. In this tutorial, we will let you know the possible reasons why you cannot open attachments in an MSN Email and what you should do to fix such issues.
Why can’t I open attachments in my email?
There is a large number of possible reasons why your MSN Email attachments not opening. We have a list few of the most common causes for such issues as given below.
- Slow Internet Connection
- Format of the file attached is unrecognized
- The file is associated with an incorrect program
- Files attached to the MSN email is compressed
- Antivirus program prevent MSN from opening the file
- Add-ons or plugins in your email program/ web browser blocking the file from opening.
- The attached file is corrupted.
- No storage space in your device to download the new file.
Solutions to Fix unable to open email attachments in MSN email
The solution to resolve unable to open MSN email attachment issue is very simple. You have to eliminate the factors that are triggering such a problem. Let’s go through the different solutions that you may try if you can’t view email attachments in MSN.
- Check your Internet Connection: To open attachments from MSN emails, you must have a good Internet connection. So, ensure that your device is connected to stable internet.
- Check the file format: A few of the file formats are not supported in MSN. If you are unable to view MSN attachments then the file format may be unsupported. Unfortunately, there is no method to view such files.
- Make sure you have to the programs of open MSN attachment: Sometimes, the files are supported by MSN but we do not have programs to open them installed on our device. For example – we need MS word installed on our computer to view .doc files.
The popular file formats and programs required to open them are given in the table below.
|Type of files||Extensions||Programs required|
|Documents||.docx or .doc||MS Word, Google docs, etc.|
|Adobe acrobat or PDF reader|
|Video||.mov, .avi, .wmv, .mp4, .mpeg||A compatible media player|
|Compressed file||.zip, .rar, .z||Winzip, etc.|
|Audio||.mp3||MP3 media player|
|Images||.gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png||These files are generally opened by every image viewer and editor|
|Spreadsheet||.xls, or .xlsx||MS Excel, Google Sheets, or Open Office Calc|
|Bitmap||.bmp||MS Paint or other image editors|
- Look for the compressed files: In case the extensions of the MSN attachment are .zip, .rar, etc. it means that the attached file is compressed. The motive behind file compression is to save the disk space. To view these files, first, you need to extract them using software like Winzip, etc. and then open them.
- Disable your antivirus and open again: Your antivirus or other security software programs can also be the reason why you are not able to open MSN email attachments. That’s why it is recommended to try and open the files after disabling your antivirus in case the problem continues.
- Temporarily disable plugin of Email programs and download file again: In case you run MSN on email programs like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. then you can face MSN File attachment issues due to the installed plugins. It is recommended that you should reopen the file after disabling all third-party add-ons & plugins.
Note: Similarly to the Email programs, some add-ons on general web browsers can also be problematic. You may disable your browser’s add-on if MSN email attachment is not opening.
- Ask the sender to resend the file: If you still can’t view MSN email attachments then it seems that the file is corrupted. In this case, you should contact the sender and request him/her to send the attachment once again.
- In those situations, where you can’t open MSN attachment due to unsupportive format you may forward that email to your non-MSN email address. After forwarding the email, you may sign in to your non-MSN email account and try to open files from there.
- You should disable your antivirus to see the attached files only if you don’t have any other measures. Disabling an antivirus program can leave your device at constant risk of getting infected by a virus.