Sync Google Contacts with macOS to view your Gmail contacts in Mac address book
The macOS is the operating system for the Apple’s Macintosh line computer systems. If you are also using any device with macOS and want to access your Gmail contacts along with macOS contacts then you can do it with a breeze. All you need to do is synchronize Google contacts with macOs contacts and you will be able to see all the Google and macOs contacts together.
In addition to this, after synchronizing the contacts all your changes in Google contacts will also reflect in your macOS device. In this tutorial, we will discuss how you can sync Gmail contacts with the macOS contacts app.
How to set macOS contacts to mirror Google contact?
Synchronizing macOS contacts with Google contacts is a boon for those users how don’t use Google services like Gmail, Google calendar etc. but want to add Google contacts to macOS contact app. By doing this, whenever you will make changes to a Google contact or add/delete a Google contact then the information will be copied in macOS contact app.
Follow the steps given below to sync Gmail contact with macOS contacts.
- First of all, go to your macOS contacts.
- Take a backup of your Mac contacts by following steps given below.
- Open menu and click on File.
- Click on “Export” followed by “Contacts Archive”
- Choose the location to save your backup.
- Click on “Save” to store your macOS contacts backup.
- Open menu bar and choose Contacts.
- Click on “Add Account”.
- Scroll down and select “Other Contacts Account” from the bottom of the list.
Note: If you are already using other services of Google like Gmail etc. on your Mac device then you need to click on “Google” logo instead of “Other Contacts Account”. The complete process is discussed below in this post.
- Choose “CardDAV” from the appeared drop down menu. Make sure that the Account Type is set to “Automatic”.
- Type your Gmail address and Password in the specified field.
- Add the application specific password if you are using two-step authentication for Gmail. Click on “Sign in“.
- Again open the menu bar and go to contacts.
- Choose “Preferences” and open the “Accounts” tab.
- Now, from the list of accounts, you need to click on “Google”.
- Check the box against “Enable this account”.
Now, you have to select the time period in which you want macOS Contact app to sync with your Google account to check for the changes in contacts. The time period can be in the range of 1 minute to 1 hour.
The macOS contact application will fetch the information from your Google contact at the time period you select.
Synchronizing Google contact with macOS contact if you are already using Google services
If you are already using a Google service like Gmail on your Mac device, then the process to sync Gmail contact and macOS contact is a bit different but much easier.
- Open menu bar and Select contact.
- Click on “Account” in order to open the preferences of internet accounts.
- Choose “Google” from the list of accounts. (Available at the left of the opened window)
- A list of all the Google services will appear. You need to check the box next to the “Contacts”.
- Finally, you can exit the screen.
If you have your iPad and iPhone sync together then the changes in Google contacts will reflect your iPhone and iPad as well.