Want to access Gmail Message in Outlook 2013? Learn how to do it using IMAP.
When it comes to email service, both Gmail and outlook doesn’t require any kind of introduction. Both of them have millions of users all around the globe. Similarly, both the services have their own merits and demerits. Some users prefer Gmail over outlook while some opt for outlook over Gmail. To sort out this dilemma, Google offers IMAP protocols which enable the user to access Gmail messages through the MS Outlook program.
Using IMAP protocol, you can setup a Gmail access in MS Outlook 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2013. In this tutorial, we will explain the method to access Gmail messages in MS Outlook 2013.
Benefits of Accessing Gmail in Outlook using the IMAP Protocol
IMAP protocols are the easiest and the most powerful way to access the Gmail in outlook. Some of its benefits are as follows:
- Apart from the newly arrived messages, it allows you to gain access to the old and archived messages.
- All your Gmail labels remain intact when you use IMAP to access Gmail in outlook.
- By using IMAP, you can perform tasks such as archiving, deleting, starting a new draft in Gmail through the outlook interface.
How to Enable IMAP access in Gmail?
Before adding the Gmail to MS Outlook 2013, it is important the IMAP access should be enabled in your Gmail account. The process to Enable IMAP in Gmail is quite simple as given below:
- Login to your Gmail Account and click on the setting button from the top right corner.
- Open the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Ensure that the “Enable IMAP” option is selected under the IMAP access.
- Click on “Save Changes”.
Note: You should also make sure that the access for less secure apps is turned on in your Gmail account.
Access Gmail in MS Outlook 2013 using IMAP
Now, as the IMAP access is enabled in your Gmail Account, it time to add gmail as an IMAP account to your Outlook 2013 email program.
- Open outlook program and click on “File”
- Open the “Info” Category.
- Click on “Add Account” under the account information.
- Type your Full name (or the name as you want to appear in the “From” line of received email) under your name field
- Enter your full Gmail id under the E-Mail address field.
- Enter your Gmail password under the password field.
- Confirm the Gmail Password by entering it once again and click on “Next”.
Note: In case you have 2-step verification enabled then you have to create a new application password and enter it twice.
- Click on “Finish”. The outlook will start sending test messages as soon as you click on the “Finish” button.
- Once outlook is finished sending test message you should click “close” in the “Test Account Setting” window.
The default setting will allow you to access the messages from last three months only. If you want to access all your gmail messages in outlook then you need to make some changes in outlook while setting up Gmail via IMAP:
- Make sure change account setting is checked while adding Gmail account in outlook and click Next.
- Select “All” under the “Mail to keep offline” options.
If you are not much bothered about the Gmail labels and synchronization, you can also opt for accessing Gmail in outlook through POP access. The POP access is much more reliable and less complicated as compared to IMAP.