Know how to revoke third-party app and websites permissions for your Gmail Account
Just like Facebook, Google also offers the services of single sign-in for all the third party apps, games and websites. Through the single sign-in process, the users can login to their favorite apps and websites via single password without worrying to remember tons of username and passwords for different websites.
Google is very strict as far as the privacy of its users is concerned. The 3rd party apps and websites will not be able to access your Gmail account’s data unless you provide them the permission. However, usually the users ignore what permissions these third party apps/websites requests for and allow them full access to their gmail account.
Thankfully, the Google offers many ways by which you can see who is accessing your Gmail data and revoke it. In this article, we will provide you complete information on 3rd party app permissions and simple steps to revoke them. In addition to this, we will also list down the steps to remove all other email accounts that are connected to your gmail which provide other people access to send an email on your behalf.
What are the different types of app/website permissions?
Google allows third party app/website developers to request for three types of app permissions:
- Basic Information: When a third party app/website requests for your basic information then it indicates that they are only connecting you to the Google single sign-in with your basic information (Email address, name, age, gender etc.)
Most of the games should ask for this permission only. In case any game request for an access to read and write, then you should do some research on why the developers are requesting such permissions.
- Access to read and write: Through this permission, the third party apps and websites can have limited access to your gmail account. These permissions include managing your Google Calendar, creating a task list for you, having access to your contacts etc. You should never give such permissions to any app unless it is completely trustworthy.
- Full Account Access: If you provide full account access permission to any app then the developer of that app will have complete control over your Gmail account including the access to change your password. You should never give this type of permission to any third party app/services.
Find out which apps and websites have access to your Gmail Account?
In case you want to find out which website or app you have given the permission to access your Gmail account in past then follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, login to your Gmail account and visit the Google home page.
- Click on your profile picture from the top right corner followed by “Google account”.
- Click on “Apps with account access” under “sign-in and security” tab.
- The list of all apps that have the access to your account will appear.
How to revoke the access to all 3rd party apps from Gmail?
After finding out which third party apps have access to your gmail it is very easy to remove them.
- Click on “Apps with account access” under the google “sign-in and security tab”.
- Click on the app for which you want to revoke the access.
- Finally, click on “Remove Access” and “ok” to revoke access to the app.
Find out and Remove other email accounts having access to your gmail?
If you have any email account connected with your gmail, then you can find it out and remove it by following the steps given below.
- First of all, login to your account and click on the setting gear icon from the top right corner.
- Now, click on “settings”.
- Open “Accounts and Import” tab.
- The email address with access to your gmail account will appear against the “Grant access to your account”
- Click on “Delete” to revoke access to any unwanted email account.
Find out which services are accessing your Google Account right now?
To find out which services are having access to your gmail account right now, you just need to follow the below-mentioned steps
- The first thing you need to do is to login in to your gmail and scroll down to bottom.
- Click on “Details” under Last account activity.
- Check the IP addresses from where your gmail account is accessed. All the different services will have the different IP address
- The IP addresses some of the popular services are as follows:
- Sane Box – United States (220.127.116.11)
- Kwaga (using Amazon Web Services) – United States (18.104.22.168)
- Boomerang for Gmail – United States (22.214.171.124)
- Baydin Email Game – United States (126.96.36.199)