Fed up with writing similar Emails again and again? Use Gmail Templates to do it quickly.
Many of the email users use Gmail for their business purposes. While using Gmail for business or promotion we have to write similar messages again and again for different recipients. It can be a nightmare if we need to write the same message to hundreds of emails. Thankfully, Gmail templates involve canned responses which we can add to our email quickly and save our time. Please note that templates are just pre-installed messages, they are different from Gmail automatic replies.
In case you are also a Gmail user who needs to send the same message either for the promotion or replying to your customer queries, then this article is just for you. Here, we will discuss how to make your Gmail more efficient with Gmail templates.
How to enable canned responses in Gmail?
The templates or canned responses are not enabled by default; you need to enable them manually. It is quite easy to enable canned response or template in Gmail no matter if you are using Gmail on windows or using Gmail on Mac OS. All you need to do is follow the steps given below:
- Log into your Gmail account and click on the settings gear icon from the top right corner.
- Choose settings from the opened menu.
- Open the “Advanced” tab.
- Make sure that the radio button next to the “Canned responses (templates)” is enabled.
- Finally, scroll down and click on “Save Changes”.
This will enable you to add pre-installed canned messages or templates in your emails but what if the messages you want to send is not pre-installed in Gmail?. Well, in such cases, you need to create your own templates.
How to save a message as the template in Gmail?
To save your custom message as a template in Gmail you should follow the steps given below:
- Log into your Gmail account and click on “Compose”.
- Now, write the message you want to save as a template in Gmail. You should also add your Gmail signature in the email as it can also be saved in the template. Leave both “Subject” and “To” field empty as they not saved with the template.
- Click on “More Option” (downward pointing triangle) in the toolbar available at the bottom of the compose message window. The option is available next to the “Discard Draft” button.
- Select “canned responses” followed by “New Canned response” from the save section.
- Write the name for your template. Although you can name it whatever you want, you should name it carefully as it will be your template message subject line. However, you can change the message subject line later if you want to.
- Finally, click on “Ok” and your custom message will be saved.
How to use Templates in Gmail?
Once you are done with enabling Templates in Gmail, you can start a new message or replay to a message using the Gmail template.
- Starting composing a new message or replay the message.
- Click on “More Option” (downward pointing triangle) in the toolbar available at the bottom of the message.
- Select canned responses from the opened menu.
- Now, all your template messages will be listed under the “Insert” option. Select the most appropriate template from the list.
- Fill details in “To:” and “subject:” field. Here you can add an individual recipient or add a group to send Gmail group message.
- Check and Edit the messages if required.
- Click on “Send” to send the message normally.
Note: you can also add text to the message and then insert templates. The templates will never overwrite the content written by you.
Editing a saved Template in Gmail
Sometimes we need to make some subtle variations in our Templates to customize them for different users. Follow the below-mentioned steps to edit a message template in Gmail.
- Click on the compose button to start with a new message.
- Click on “more option” available in the bottom of the new message window (it looks like a downward pointing triangle).
- Select “Canned Responses”.
- Select the template you want to edit from the insert section.
- Now, make the required changes in the Template after inserting it to the message.
- Click “More option” once again and go to the canned responses section.
- Now, under the save section, select the same template you have opened earlier. This will save the changes you have made to the template.
- Click on “Ok” if you see the prompt reading “This will overwrite your saved canned response. Are you sure you want to proceed?”