Keep your Gmail address books up to date. Know how to add a contact in Gmail quickly.
It is a smart idea to keep your Google address books or contacts up to date. This will help you keep organized and be more productive. Whenever you have an email conversation with someone on Gmail be it your new office colleague, your friend, you can directly add him/her to your Google Contacts. If your Gmail contacts are up to date you can easily synchronize them with your phone contacts and they will always be available on your mobile device. But for that, you have to add the contacts to your Gmail address book in the first place.
In this tutorial, we will illustrate the step by step method to add people to your Gmail contact list directly from the email conversation and manually by entering the name & email address.
Add a sender to Google Contacts manually
If you want to add a person whom you never has a conversation on gmail to your Google contact list then you should follow the steps given below:
- Log in to your Gmail account from your computer’s browser.
- Click on Google Apps from the top right corner of the screen.
- Now, a list of apps will appear on the screen. You need to scroll down and click on “more”.
- Click on “Even More From Google”
- A new tab will open with the list of all the products and services from Google. Here, you need to locate and click on “Contacts”.
- Click on “New” (“+” icon).
- Type the first and last name of your contact.
- Enter the Email address in the specified space. Type Email address very careful so that you don’t have to edit or delete Gmail contact later on.
Note: You can also add other optional information such as “company”, “job title”, “label” etc.
- Finally, click on “Save” and the contact will be added to your Gmail address book.
How to add Google contacts directly from email conversation?
In case you have received an email from the email address which is not in your Gmail address book then you can add it directly from the email itself. Follow the below-mentioned steps to add Gmail contacts from email.
- First of all, log in to your Gmail account and open the email whose sender you want to add in your Gmail contacts.
- Move/ Hover your cursor over the sender’s name at the top of the email or click on the sender’s profile/ avatar image in order to open the information screen.
- Now, in the information screen, you should click on “Contact Info”.
- Click on the “+” button in the opened Google Contacts window.
- Enter all the information of the sender you have such as name, contact number etc. If you don’t have the information then you can enter it later.
Note: The old versions of Gmail used to enter some information automatically but the current version doesn’t.
- Finally, click on “Save” to add the new contact.
It will become quite simple for you to send emails in future after adding the contact because now Gmail will fetch the contact information as soon as you start to type the name or email address.
How to edit contacts in Gmail?
Once you are done with adding the contacts in Gmail you can access or edit them whenever you want. All you need to do is follow the steps given below:
- Open Your Gmail contacts.
- In the search box, start typing the name or email address of the contact you want to edit. Choose the contact from the google auto-suggestion box. If the Google doesn’t suggest you the right contact then you can select it from the search result.
- Now, the details of the contact will appear.
- Click on edit (Pencil icon) to edit the contact.
- Do all the necessary editing. You can also the desired details if you want to. Some additional field remains closed; you can view or edit them by clicking on more from the bottom of the contact screen.
- Finally, click on “Save” to save the changes.
Apart from the edit, you can also export Gmail contacts to use them in other email services as well.
Some Benefits of Saving Google Contacts
Here are some reasons why adding Google Contacts can be very beneficial to you.
- Whenever you add a sender to your Google Contacts, the information is synchronized across all your devices such as mobile, tablet and operating system. So, contacts will be available to you whenever you want and wherever you go with your mobile device.
- By adding Google contact you can also create your personal mailing list to quickly send emails to a group of people. You will not have to enter all the email addresses one by one.
- If you add contacts to a Gmail group then it becomes quite easy for you to send an email to all the member in the group instantly.
- You can organize, review and merge multiple contacts as per your wish.