A quick guide to toggle Google Chat history
In this era of instant messaging services like Facebook messenger, Whatsapp etc. the use of Google hangout for personal chatting is not so popular. However, it is widely used for official purpose. The process of chatting via Google has gone through many names in the past such as Google Talk, GChat and now Google Hangout. One of the most prolific benefits of chatting through Gmail is that it avails you to save and see the past conversation you had with anyone.
The history of conversation between you and the other person does get saved automatically. This feature is immensely helpful in case you have to pause the conversation for some time and return back to resume it later. In case you don’t know the right way to save and view Google chat history then this tutorial is just for you. Before we tell you the correct way to save the Chat history, you need to activate the chat option in your Gmail.
How to activate Chat in Gmail?
Follow the steps mentioned below the turn on chat in Gmail:
- First of all, log in to your Gmail account and click on settings icon from the top right corner.
- Now click on the settings button from the opened menu.
- Click on “Chat” Tab from the top of the settings page.
- Select the radio button against the “Chat on” option.
How to Turn on and Turn off Google Chat/Hangout history?
- Whenever you chat with someone through the Google hangout, the conversation gets stored automatically as conversation history. This allows you to access the conversation you had with the person.
- You can turn off the feature of saving the history automatically by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open the chat or conversation box and click on the setting icon from the upper right corner.
- Here, you will find the checkbox for the chat history. Uncheck the box if you want to disable the feature of saving the chat history.
- When the chat history is disabled in the Google Hangout, the messages keep on disappearing after the intended user reads them.
- Please note that the chat history will not be saved if any of the party involved in conversation disables the chat history option.
- In case any of the users in conversation is using the chat via different client, then the client can also save the chat history no matter you have disabled the chat history option or not.
Note: The option to disable chat history in google was known as the “Going off the record” in previous versions of Google Chat.
How to archive conversation in Google Hangout?
Follow the steps mentioned below to hide the conversation from the list of conversation in Gmail sidebar.
- Open the specific conversation window you want to archive.
- Click on the settings from the corner of conversation window.
- Finally, click on “Archive Conversation”.
How to retrieve an archived conversation in Google Hangout?
When you archive any conversation in Google it does get deleted. You can still retrieve the conversation by following the steps given below:
- Click on your name appearing at the top of the conversation list.
- Then from the opened menu choose “Archived Hangouts”.
- Now, the list of all archived conversation will appear.
- Click on the conversation you want to retrieve.
- Click on the settings gear icon from the conversation window.
- Finally, select “Unarchive Conversation”.
The conversation also gets retrieved if the other person in the conversation sends you a new message.