Here’s how you can send IMs and do webcam Chats on Gmail
There is no doubt about the fact that Gmail is the most popular and widely used web based email service around the world. However, for sending instant messages or to start a webcam or audio chat, the gmail users need to log out of Gmail and use other instant messaging services. To rectify this drawback, the Google has introduced embedded Google Talk IM Client with Gmail which allows users to not only send the IMs but also do the chats on webcam.
The Google Talk IMs client also enables the Gmail user to start a group chat with their Gmail contacts. In this tutorial, we will share complete details how to use Gmail as an instant messenger using Google Talk along with all its functionalities.
Sending IMs in Gmail
It is quite to start sending IMs in Gmail. However, in order to do that you need have the person you want to chat with added to your Gmail contacts. You can follow the steps given below to start sending IMs in Gmail after updating your Gmail contacts.
- First of all, log in to your Gmail account.
- Find the chat menu with green dot located underneath the Contact on the left side.
- Click on “+” button.
- Select the contact to Chat. (you need to double click on the name of contact to select it)
- A small instant messaging window will appear on the bottom of the screen.
- Type your message in the opened window and press enter.
Note: The Green dot in front of your Contact’s name indicates that they are online and available to receive your messages.
How to start a Group Chat in Gmail?
You can use Gmail to launch Group chat as well. All you need to do is follow the step mentioned below.
- Open the chat window by clicking on the name of any one of your contact.
- Click on option from the bottom of the chat window.
- Click on “Group Chat”.
- Now, you need to invite participants to the group chat.
- Type the name of the person you wants to add to the group chat and click on “Invite”. Your contacts will receive the invitation to join the ongoing chat.
Note: You can make your Gmail chat more animated by adding emojis available in the in the Google talk IM.
Doing Audio or webcam Chat in Gmail
In order to start audio or webcam chat in Gmail, you need to install the Gmail webcam and audio chat plugin to your Gmail account. If you haven’t installed the required plugins then you can start audio/webcam chat by downloading them using the steps given below:
- Select the contact you want to chat and open a chat window.
- Click on “Options” from the bottom of the chat window.
- Now, Click on “Add voice/Voice Chat” and the Gmail webcam and audio chat plugin will be automatically downloaded and installed.
How to Block someone in Gmail IMs?
You can block an annoying contact from sending you messages on Google Talk IMs
- Click on the name of the contact you want to block in Gmail IMs.
- Open the option from the bottom of the chat window.
- Click on Block.
- Give confirmation (if required) and the contact will be blocked.
Other Important Points to remember
- All the Chats you will do on Google Talk will be stored in the Gmail archives. If you don’t want Google Talk IM to store your chat then you can do it by clicking on “Going off the record” option in the chat window.
- All the methods we have discussed in this post are for Google Talk IM. However, if you are using Google Hangout then the process might be a little bit different.