Want to fetch Gmail messages to your favorite Email Program? Learn how to do it?
Gmail is the most popular web-based email service around the world. It’s enhanced security features and clean user interface makes it immensely popular for both professional and personal emailing. What makes gmail even more beneficial is that it allows IMAP protocol to let you read gmail messages in other email programs like MS outlook and Apple Mail.
Even though Gmail is very user friendly and popular, but every Email program has its own merits. It might be possible that you prefer some other Email service over gmail. In such cases, you just need to set up IMAP to your gmail account and you will be able to access your Gmail message in your favorite Email Program.
Benefits of using Gmail via IMAP.
Setting up a Gmail account through IMAP in your favorite email program avails following benefits.
- It let you access your Gmail account not only through the web but also through any email program of your choice or a mobile device perhaps.
- IMAP enables you to fetch not only the new incoming messages but also the email messages archived in your Gmail account.
- All your labels as folders and apply tags remain intact in the new email program as it was in your Gmail account.
- Let you change Email Program whenever you want.
Although IMAP allows you to access your Gmail folders and labels but you have to synchronize contacts manually.
How to access Gmail through IMAP in your Mobile Device or Email Program?
In order to access Gmail account in your Email program or mobile device via IMAP you need to make following changes to your Gmail account.
- Firstly, login to your Gmail account for which you want to set IMAP.
- Click on Settings gear icon from the top right corner.
- Open “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Now, under the IMAP access ensure that “Enable IMAP” is selected.
- Click on “Save Changes”.
- Now, your Gmail account is ready for IMAP access.
Note: Also make sure that access for less secure apps is turned on in your Gmail account.
Setup your Email Program for Accessing Gmail via IMAP
After enabling IMAP setting in your Gmail, now it is the time to set up a Gmail IMAP account in your Email Program.
The process to set up IMAP is different for all the Email Programs such as iPhone Mail, Eudora, Mozilla Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Outlook 2007, Mac OS X Mail, Pegasus Mail, Windows Live Mail desktop etc. However, a generic setting for all for the email programs is given below:
- IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com
- IMAP Port: 993
- Require SSL: Yes
- Username: Your Gmail account Name (your Gmail account name is what precedes “@gmail.com” in your gmail address).
- Password: Your gmail Password.
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port: 465
- Require SSL/STARTTLS: Yes
- Require SMTP authentication: Yes
- Username: Your Gmail account name
- Password: Your Gmail Password (Gmail app password if 2 step verification is set up)
You just need to enter this setting in your Email program setup and you will be able to access Gmail in your Email Program.
If your email program does not support IMAP then you can access Gmail messages in your email program via POP access.