Learn how Gmail calling works– A simple step by step guide
Gmail is certainly the most widely used email service in the world. But most of its users are unaware of the fact that Gmail also includes a feature that allows them to place phone calls. If you have a Google account from a long time then it is highly probable that you must know about the Google Voice app.
Google Voice is an internet based service by Google that allow users to make phone calls using a method called Voice over internet protocol (VoIP). You just need to make some subtle adjustments with Google Voice and you will be able to use it directly from your Gmail user interface. The biggest benefit of using Google voice with gmail is that you can effortlessly switch between email and a phone call with wasting much of a time.
Although you can use Google Voice app directly from your smartphone to make and receive phone calls you need a computer with working microphone in case of using voice function with gmail.
How Google Voice works with Gmail?
Google Voice utilize the service know as Voice over internet protocol (VoIP). However, this should be noted that collaborating Google Voice with Gmail will not let you call an email address as both of them employs a completely different communication medium. The main motive of using Google voice with Gmail interface is to make Google voice more convenient for the users.
Note: Google Voice is not capable of making or receiving the emergency service calls
How to place a call from Gmail?
Many of the Google services combines in order to allow a Gmail user to make phone calls. Follow the steps given below to call someone from the Gmail interface.
- To begin with, you have to install the Google Hangout Plugin. Google hangout is a free messaging and video chat app. In case you have already installed the Google Hangout Plugin then you can see the hangout window at the right side of your emails.
- Click either on the Phone icon or “Make a Phone call” link.
- This will open a new window in which you will be asked to enter the phone number of the person you wants to call. In this window, you can also directly select the contact from the list in order to make a phone call.
- If the person you want to call is in the contact list, then you just need to place the cursor over that contact and click at the phone icon right next to the name. You will get call immediately as soon as you click on the phone icon.
- In case the person is not on the contact list then you have to enter the phone number and click on the phone icon and call will be placed immediately afterward.
How to make international calls from Gmail?
- In case the number you want to call is from the different country then you need to click on the flag at the top of the column beside the text box.
- After clicking the flag you need to select the country to which the phone number belongs to.
- The country code will be filled automatically as soon as you select the country.
Note: The calling service is not free you have to buy calling credits in order to place a phone call.
How to receive phone calls through Gmail?
You will receive usual ring notification from your computer whenever someone calls at your Google Voice number. In case you have Google Hangout plugin installed, then you can answer phone calls directly from Gmail interface. Otherwise, you can pick or ignore this call through the Google voice.