Logging out of Gmail is a smart idea to keep your account safe.
Even though there is no harm in keep logged in to your Gmail account on personal and home computer. But if you are using Gmail at someone else’s places or on a public computer then it is necessary for you to sign out of Gmail to keep your account safe. These days our email accounts are connected to the variety of services like bank accounts, online shopping site etc. So, if someone has the access to your gmail account then it can cause a great deal of hassle for you.
You should have a habit of logging out of your Gmail account after every use to keep it safe. However, if you have forgotten to log out of your Gmail account and worried about your Gmail account security then fortunately for you that Gmail provides an option to log out all gmail active session at once. In this tutorial, we will brief you about the process to log out of Gmail on desktop and mobile phone.
How to Sign out of Gmail on Desktop website?
It is quite easy to log out of Gmail on your computer. All you need to do is follow the steps given below:
- First of all, open your Gmail inbox.
- Click on your profile picture available at the top right corner.
- There you will find a Sign Out button at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on “Sign out”.
This will sign you out of the Gmail. However, if you want to remove your account completely from the computer then you may follow the steps given below:
- Click on “Remove an account”
- Now a list of the email addresses will appear on your screen. Click on “X” button available next to your email address.
- Click on “Yes Remove” to give confirmation.
Logging out of Gmail mobile website
Gmail has a separate website for its mobile users. In case you want to log out of Gmail through mobile website, then you can do it easily by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open Gmail mobile website and click on the three horizontal lines icon (hamburger menu) from the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap on your Gmail address available at the top of the screen.
- Finally, tap on sign out from the bottom of the screen.
- To remove the account completely from the device, you need to tap on the remove button from the bottom right corner.
How to Log out of Gmail App?
You can’t really log out of Gmail App, you need to remove your Gmail account from the android device in order to sign out of Gmail App. Follow the steps given below to delete your Gmail account from the android phone or tablet.
- Open settings on your Android phone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Accounts” Section.
- Tap on “Google”.
- Tap on your Gmail account or the account you want to remove from the phone.
- Now, tap on the three horizontal bar icon available at the top right corner of the screen.
- Finally, tap on remove account and your gmail account will be removed from the android phone or tablet.
How to sign out of all active sessions of Gmail remotely?
In case you are worried that you might have left your Gmail account signed in on a public computer or any computer to which you longer have access then you can sign out of that session remotely. You can log out every session of gmail no matter you were logged in using a computer or mobile. Follow the steps given below to log out of your every active Gmail session.
- Open Gmail Inbox from your computer.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click on “Details” button located near the “Last Account activity”.
- Now, a new window will open showing all your active session and account activity.
- Click on “Sign out of all other web sessions”.
Points to remember
- Signing out remotely will not log you out of your current session.
- If you think someone knows your password then you should change your Gmail password after signing out of all the session.
- The email clients connected to your Gmail account via IMAP will not be logged out. For example: If you are logged in via Gmail app then you will remain logged in even after signing out of all active web session remotely.
How to revoke access to your Google Account?
As we have discussed earlier in this article, you can’t sign out of Gmail Application while logging out of all web session. However, there is a way by which you can log out of the particular device from the recently used device section in your Google account. This feature can be extremely helpful for you in case you have forgotten to remove your google account from a device which you no longer have access to.
- Log in to your Gmail account from a computer.
- Click on your Profile picture from the top right corner.
- Click on “My Account” or “Google Account”
- Open sign in & security section.
- Scroll down and check the “Device activity & security events”. Here, you will find the list of devices from where your Google account has been accessed.
- Click on “Review Devices”.
- Select the device for which you want to block the access of your Gmail account.
- Click on the remove button appearing in the red color in “Account access” line.
- Give your confirmation by clicking the “Remove” button once again.
If you think your Gmail account was hacked then it is recommended that you should change your Gmail password and follow the google security checklist.