If you have an email account then you might know what Gmail is. It is the most popular email service available on the planet. Being a product of Google, Gmail has all the important functions and features that we expect from an ideal email service. What makes Gmail even more special is its compatibility with most devices and browsers. You can easily access Gmail on mac, windows, android, and iOS devices. Despite all its benefits, we still can’t say Gmail is absolutely flawless. In fact, it is quite common to see users posting issues like Gmail not working here and there on the internet.
Fortunately, it is easy to fix most of the issues with Gmail. You just have to understand the reason due to which you are facing the particular problem. Go through this post if you don’t know why Gmail is not working on your PC, Laptop, or mobile. Here, we will discuss the possible factors that might be causing these problems along with solutions to get rid of them with ease.
Why my Gmail won’t load or not working?
You need to understand the fact that Gmail is a highly-technical email service. There is no single factor that we can label as responsible for why Gmail is not loading on your device. In fact, different reasons are responsible for different issues. Nonetheless, there are a few factors that are more common than others. We have compiled a list of such factors as listed below.
- Internet Connection: We all know how important an Internet connection is in order to use an email service. So, if you are using a week internet connection then it is obvious that you will have to deal with problems like not receiving Gmail, unable to send, etc.
- Browser’s Compatibility: To use all the features of Gmail smoothly, you must have a compatible browser. The good thing is that Gmail is compatible with most of the popular browsers like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.
- Add-on and plug-ins of browsers: We like to add plugins and add-on to our browser to make it more suitable for internet browsing. However, some plugins may conflict with Gmail and cause problems.
- Cache and Cookies: Our browsers store cache and cookies to load websites in a quick time. However, it is also recommended that we should keep clearing them from time to time. It is so because the accumulation of Cache and cookies may result in website loading errors and issues.
- Obsolete browser: Google is continuously adding new functions and features to Gmail to make it more contemporary. Those who are using an older version of the browser may find it difficult to use these features of Gmail.
- Incorrect login credentials: Hands down, entering an incorrect username or password is the most common reason due to which users have to face Gmail login issues.
- Insufficient space: Gmail app is designed to work flawlessly on both android and iOS devices. However, it does require sufficient storage space to run smoothly. In case your device is running out of storage space then the Gmail app won’t load properly.
- Gmail server down in your area: Although it is rare but possible. Gmail servers might be down in your area which’s why you are unable to use the service.
- Privacy settings of your browser: There is a small chance that the privacy settings of your browser might be stopping Gmail website from loading.
- IMAP/ POP Settings: To use Gmail on Outlook or other third-party apps, you should ensure that you are entering the correct IMAP/ POP settings.
Fix Gmail not working on Windows
To solutions to fix a Gmail problem largely depends upon the device you are facing. If Gmail is not opening on a Windows PC then you have to follow different troubleshooting steps than the steps applicable to Android/ iPhone. Let’s go through solutions to fix Gmail on a windows computer.
Steps to follow if Gmail not working on Chrome/ Firefox/ Internet Explorer
- First of all, make sure you are connected to a fast and smooth internet connection. To check your internet connectivity, you may simply try to open a website on your computer. If the other website is loading properly then your internet connection is fine.
- Sometimes, a restart is enough to fix the most complex problem. Believe us, it is worth a try. Restart your device and try to load Gmail again.
- Check the compatibility of your browser. For the best experience, we recommend you to go for popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.
- Clear cache and cookies of browser and try to run Gmail once again.
- You should also make sure that Gmail servers are not down in your area. The good thing is that Google has a page dedicated to check its services status. You may visit this page to checking if Gmail is down in our area or not.
- In case you are unable to log in to Gmail then you should make sure that you are entering the correct password. Those who can’t remember their login credentials may reset Gmail password through the Gmail password recovery process.
- Try to open Gmail once again after disabling add-ons and plugins installed on your browser.
- If you are not able to send Gmail messages then confirm that there is no email attachment issue. It is advised to check the support attachment size and format in Gmail before sending an email.
- Switch to another browser or device in case the problem persists even after trying all troubleshooting measures mentioned above.
What are the steps to fix Gmail not working on Android
Nothing beats the comfort of being able to access your email account through your android phone. Gmail has an application that works awesomely with android devices. However, many of us run into different issues while using this app on our phones more often than not. Such users may try the following solutions.
- Firstly, you should check that you are using an updated version of the Gmail app.
- Try to run the application once again after restarting your android phone.
- Check and confirm that your Android device is connected to wi-fi or mobile data connection.
- Ensure that your device is not in Airplane mode.
- Check the synchronization setting if Gmail is not receiving emails. The steps to do so are as follows.
- Run the Gmail app on your phone.
- Open “menu” by clicking the icon available at the top-left corner.
- Choose your Gmail account.
- Ensure that the box against “Sync Gmail” is checked.
- In case your device is running out of storage space then you should uninstall apps that you don’t use.
- If Gmail is still not working on your android then you may clear the app data and try again.
Resolve Gmail stopped working on an iPhone
There are multiple options to access Gmail on an iPhone. You may download the Gmail app, using the Safari browser to open Gmail’s web version, or access Gmail using IMAP through the mail app. Those who are unable to use Gmail on an iPhone may check out the following troubleshooting measures.
- Firstly, you must confirm that there is no problem with your iPhone regarding internet connectivity.
- Check and ensure that there is enough storage space available on your phone to run an application properly.
- If you have configured Gmail on your iPhone then make sure that you are using the correct IMAP/ POP settings for the same.
- Switching to POP from IMAP or vice-versa is worth a try.
- In case the problem continues then you may remove your Gmail account completely from your iPhone and set it up once again.
- Finally, if nothing works then it is better to seek help through Gmail Support for advanced solutions.