If you are using Gmail or any other email service from a long time then you must have some idea about the number of unnecessary emails and messages a user usually receive in his Gmail inbox. Most of these unnecessary emails are generally from promoter selling their services via Email. Due to these promotion messages, users sometimes miss important emails. You can block a sender in Gmail but it is not really possible to block all the promotion messages at once. So, it is better to keep on archiving or deleting these unnecessary emails to keep our inbox clean and manageable.
In case you are using Gmail on IPhone then you can archive or delete a message just with a swipe. All you need to do is set the swipe to delete feature in Gmail on iPhone mail.
Set swipe to delete function for Gmail in iOS Mail.
Here’s how to send a Gmail email directly to the trash folder just with a swipe.
- First of all, go to the Home screen of your iOS device.
- Tap on “Settings”.
- Now, open the “Accounts and Passwords” category.
- Select the Email account from the list.
- You need to tap on the email account once again under “Account”.
- Then scroll down and Tap on “Advanced”.
- Now, you have to select either “Delete Mailbox” or “Archive Mailbox” under the action for swiping emails. Give confirmations if asked.
- If you confirm the “Deleted Mailbox” then the messages you swipe will go directly to the trash folder.
- When you set swiping to archive then you should set the “Archive Mailbox” to “All Mail”. You can still delete the archived message. Follow the steps mentioned below to delete the archive message.
- Swipe on the archived message and select more.
- Tap on “Move Message” followed by Trash
- Return to the previous screen by tapping on Account from the top of the screen or swiping from the left edge of the screen.
- Finally, Tap on “Done”.
Swiping Gmail Messages from Inbox
If you have followed the steps mentioned above then you can swipe the messages to delete or archive as mentioned below:
- Open Mail app and tap on the Gmail inbox to see your Gmail messages.
- Find the email you want to delete or archive and swipe from right to left.
- Now, the option to delete or archive will appear depending upon your settings. Here, you will also find the option to flag an email as well.
- Tap on the Trash or Archive button.
Note: You should remember that by swiping here you are deleting the entire conversation. Here, you are not deleting an individual message from a Gmail conversation.
In case you have set the swipe to delete option and you want to archive the message instead of deleting it. Then, you need to tap on “More” button and select the “Move Message” option followed by “All Mail”.