Clean up your Gmail contact list by deleting unnecessary contacts.
Every now and then you must have seen some contacts in your Gmail address book for which you have absolutely no idea who they are. This happens because Google automatically saves the contacts as per your previous email conversations too. This is the reason why we need to clean up our Gmail contact list regularly to save our storage space. It also becomes necessary to clean up Gmail address books when it contains a lot of duplicate contacts. Duplicate contacts can create a lot of mess when you need to export Gmail contacts for use in other services.
In case you also have some unknown contacts stored in your Gmail and you want to clean up your Gmail address book then this article can help you significantly. In this post, we will discuss complete step by step method to delete the Gmail contacts.
How to delete a contact from Gmail?
Fortunately, Google has provided a very simple and straight forward method to delete a Gmail contact. No matter if you add Gmail contact by yourself or if it is added automatically all you need to do is follow the step given below:
- First of all, log in to your Gmail account or the Gmail account from which you want to delete the contacts.
- Click on “Gmail” from the Top left corner of the Gmail inbox page.
- Click on “Contacts” from the drop-down menu.
- Check the boxes against the name of contacts you want to delete. To open the check box, you need to hover upon the contact’s icon available against their name or email address.
- If you have a lot of contacts stored in your account. Then you may use search box available at the top of the find the particular contact you want to delete. However, please note that check-marking the contact after using search box will deselect the previously checked contacts.
- Now, Click on the “Delete” option available at the appearing toolbar.
- In case you are using an earlier version of Gmail then you need to click on the “more” button in the toolbar and then select “delete contacts” from the menu that will appear.
That’s all you need to do to delete a Gmail contact. However, there are a few things that you should know about deleting a contact in Gmail.
Important Points to Remember
- Sometimes we may delete some important contacts by mistake in such cases you can restore the deleted contacts in Gmail within 30 days of deleting them.
- The mobile version of Gmail doesn’t allow you to delete Gmail contacts. So make sure you are logged in via the web version of Gmail while deleting contacts.
- In the case of duplicate contacts, you can also merge them together instead of deleting them.