Fed up with annoying forward messages? Here’s how to block emails in Gmail.
The annoying forward messages and spams can destroy the overall experience of using Gmail. From time to time, we have to deal with these spammers in Gmail who keeps on spamming us with mass forwards. Usually, the spam messages are not much dangerous but sometime these spam messages may contain links to viruses or spyware that can be devastating for your computer system.
You can simply mark these messages as spam. They will directly move to your Gmail’s spam folder and will be deleted after 30 days without bothering you and your Gmail storage. But in case the spammer keeps on creating nuisance then you must block him straight away. In this tutorial, we will discuss complete step by step method to block a spammer in Gmail
The Spam button is not for everyone
Marking as a spam message is considered the simplest way to get rid of an annoying email. However, it is recommended that you should reserve the spam button only for reporting real junk email message like mass forwards, a message sent with intentions of doing any fraud or messages from an unidentifiable source.
If only a single sender is bothering you then it is better to block him as compared to marking as a spam. As it may filter out all the similar messages in future and you may lose an important email. The best thing about Google is that it allows you to block the senders in Gmail and let them know about the block.
How to block sender in Gmail?
Whenever you block a sender in Gmail, the email sent by blocked sender goes to the spam folder automatically and gets deleted after 30 days. Here’s how to use block function in Gmail.
- To start with, you need to open a message from the sender you want to block.
- Now, click on more option available in the top right corner of the message window (Three dots stacked over each other)
- Click on Block “Sender Name” from the opened menu.
Note: For some users, you may not find the option to block. In such a case, you need to block the sender using the filters.
- Click on Block once again to give confirmation.
You can have Gmail to send a message to the blocked users informing them about the block.
Blocking a sender on Gmail using a Filter rule
As we have stated earlier, sometimes we do not find the option to block a user in Gmail. In such cases, you can have the messages from a sender sent directly to your trash folder using a simple filter rule as given below:
- First of all, we need to click on the triangle available at the corner of the search box.
- Enter the email address of the sender you want to block in the “From” field.
- Please note that you can also block an entire domain by entering the domain name in the “From” field. For example: if you can to block emails from example.com then you should enter “@example.com” in the “From” field.
- Click on “Create filter with this search”.
- Now, a list of tasks will appear. Select “Delete it” from the appeared list.
- Click on “Create Filter”.
Note: Don’t forget to check on “also apply the filter to X matching conversations” to delete the previously received messages from the particular sender.
In case you do not want to delete the messages, then you may choose “Skip the inbox (Archive it) and then select “Apply the label”.
How to add a new address to your Gmail Filtration rule?
In case you want to add someone to your Block list using the blocking filtration rule then you can do it by following the steps given below:
- Open Gmail and click on “Settings” gear icon in Gmail.
- Click on “Settings” from the drop-down menu and open “Filters and Blocked addresses”.
- Now select the Filter to edit.
- Add the new email address to filter. The new email address should be separated with “|” symbol.
- Finally, save the changes.
How to unblock a sender in Gmail?
You can unblock a sender in Gmail and have his email in your inbox instead of spam folder whenever you want. If you have a message from the sender you want to unblock then you should follow the step given below:
- Open the message from the sender you want to unblock.
- Click on the “More” button available at the top right corner of the message window.
- Select “Unblock sender name” from the appeared menu.
- Click on “Unblock” once again to confirm.
If you don’t have the message from the person you want to unblock then you need to follow the steps given below:
- Click on Settings gear icon from the top right corner of your Gmail inbox.
- Choose “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Open “Filters and Blocked addresses” tab.
- Here, you will find the list of all the blocked senders under the “The following email addresses are blocked” section.
- Select the sender you want to unblock.
- Click on “Unblock Selected addresses”.
- Finally, click on “Unblock” once again if the confirmation message appears.