How you can access Gmail message in Pegasus Mail using IMAP and POP.
As far as the web based mail services are concerned, gmail needs no introduction. The Pegasus mail is also widely acclaimed due to its useful features such as multilingual availability, good mail filtration etc. What if you can avail the benefits of these two services simultaneously?
Thankfully, the IMAP and POP features allows you to access your Gmail account on Pegasus Mail. The IMAP feature offers additional access to your Gmail archived mails as well and allows you to use the labels. However, the functionality of IMAP is a bit complex. It is quite easy to use POP but you can only access the recent gmail messages through it. In this tutorial, we will provide you the simple step by step method to access gmail in Pegasus mail using IMAP and POP.
How to use Gmail address with Pegasus Mail using IMAP?
The main benefit of using IMAP is it offers smooth access to your archived mails and labels which POP can’t. Follow the steps given below to setup a Gmail account in Pegasus using IMAP.
- First of all, open Pegasus Mail and select Tools/ Identities from the menu.
- Click on “Add” and type “Gmail” in the “Name for new identity” field.
- Click on “Ok”.
- Now, Highlight the Gmail Identity and click on “Become”.
- Choose “Tools/ Internet options” from the menu and ensure that the General tab is selected.
- Type your Gmail email address under the field named as “My Internet e-mail address is”.
- Open “Sending (SMTP)” tab and click on “Add” followed by “New”.
- Again ensure that General tab is selected.
- Now, under the “Enter a name for this definition” field type “Gmail”.
- Type “smtp.gmail.com” in server host name field.
- Open “security tab” and ensure “via direct SSL Connect” field is selected under the “Use SSL/TLS security on this connection” option.
- Click on change and ensure “login to the SMTP server using the following details” is selected under the “SMTP Authentication” option.
- Enter your Gmail username (your username precedes the “@gmail.com” in your email address)
- Type in your Gmail Password under the password field.
- Now go back to the General tab.
- “465” should be entered under the Server TCP/ IP port. Enter it manually if it is not there and click “Ok”.
- Now, under the available SMTP definitions highlight the new Gmail server and click “Select”.
- Ensure that “Send mail at once without placing in queue” is checked and Click “Ok”.
- From the menu, select “Tools/ IMAP” profile and click “New”.
- Ensure that the “Connection Tab” is active and enter “Gmail” under “Enter a name for this Definition” field.
- Type “imap.gmail.com” under the “IMAP Server Address”.
- Enter Gmail username and password in the respective fields.
- Now Go to the “Settings tab” and ensure that the “This server supports folders within folders” should be checked.
- Now, under the “When deleting messages from folders in this mailbox” field, select the “Delete them immediately and do not keep a safety copy” option.
Note: Deleting a Gmail message in Pegasus mail will only archive the message. To permanently delete the message you have to move it to the Gmail Trash folder.
- Go to the “Performance” tab and make sure “Keep a utility connection open when this definition is active” field should be checked under the “Connection Management”.
Note: Do not enable this if you are using a slow dial-up connection.
- Go to the “Security Tab” and ensure that the “Via direct SSL connect” is selected under the “Use SSL/TLS security on this connection” option.
- Click on “Change” and Go back to the “Connection Tab”.
- Enter “993” under the server port and click “Ok”.
- Now, Under the “Existing Gmail Profiles” field highlight the Gmail
- Click on “Connect” followed by “Done”
That it, now you can access Gmail on Pegasus Mail easily.
How to Access Gmail in Pegasus Mail using POP?
As you can see, accessing Gmail in Pegasus is quite complex while using IMAP. You can follow a much simpler method by using POP as given below:
- Open Pegasus Mail and select “Tools/ Identities”
- Click on “Add” and type “Gmail” under the “Name for New Identity” field.
- Click on “Ok” and Highlight the New identity i.e. Gmail Identity.
- Now, click on “Become” and Select the “Tools/Internet” option from the menu.
- Ensure that the “General Tab” is selected.
- Click on “Start Setup Wizard” followed by “Next”.
- Type your full Gmail address under the electronic mail address field and click on “Next”.
- Under the “Address of your POP3 server” field type “pop.gmail.com”.
- Enter Gmail username and password in respective fields and click “next”.
- Enter “smtp.gmail.com” as the SMTP server address and click “next”.
- Select “Dial up” or “Network” as per your internet connection and click on “next”.
- Click on “Finish” and go to the “Receiving (POP3)” tab.
- Highlight your Gmail address and click “edit”.
- The “Delete mail on server once it has been successfully retrieved” field should not be checked under the “optional and advanced” setting.
- Now go to the “Security Tab”.
- “Via direct SSL connect” should be selected under the Use “SSL/TLS security on this connection” option.
- Click on “Change“followed by “Ok”.
- Now open the “Sending (SMTP)” tab.
- Highlight the “smtp.gmail.com” server and click “Edit”.
- Open the “security tab” and ensure that the “Via direct SSL connect” is selected under the “Use SSL/TLS security on this connection” option.
- Click on “Change” and ensure “Login to the SMTP server using the following details” field is selected under the SMTP authentication.
- Type your Gmail username & password and click “Ok”.
- Click “Ok” once again for the confirmation.
Precautions while setting up Gmail in Pegasus Mail
- Before using any of the IMAP or POP method you should ensure that the IMAP/ POP access is turned on in your Google or Gmail account.
- You should not skip any of the steps is it can result in further complications.
- It is recommended to take a backup of your important mail before setting up IMAP or POP access.