Google is continuously adding new and exciting features to Gmail. However, the primary function of a Gmail account remains the same i.e. sending and receiving emails. We must not forget that using a Gmail account is not significant if your Gmail not sending or receiving emails. Additionally, it can lead you to miss some of your important emails. There is no fixed reason which we can point out why Gmail can’t receive email or stop receiving emails. Actually, this type of issues can arise due to a variety of reasons or a combination of multiple reasons.
The problem of not being able to receive emails is more prevalent while using Gmail through IMAP or POP. That’s why; it is common to see Gmail user complaining about the issues like my Gmail isn’t receiving emails on the Outlook, Thunderbird etc. Nevertheless, every problem has a solution. If you are also facing a similar issue with your Gmail account then you can fix it with ease. All you need to do is understand and follow the steps given in this tutorial very carefully.
Why my Gmail is not receiving emails Today?
If the new emails are not arriving in your Gmail inbox then it is possible that the problem is at your end or at end of your sender. You should take a look at some of the most probable reasons why Gmail not receiving emails for the users in 2023.
Reasons possible at the Receiver’s End
- The browser on which you are running or loading Gmail is not compatible.
- Your Internet connectivity is very unstable or slow.
- The browsers you are using have too many caches, cookies or temporary files.
- Your Gmail inbox is jam-packed with emails and there is no space for any new messages.
- The add-on or extensions installed in your web browser is blocking Gmail for working properly.
- The size of an attachment in an incoming email is bigger than the permissible limit.
- Your Antivirus or Firewall setting is stopping Gmail from fetching a new email.
- You have blocked the sender mistakenly.
- Gmail filters redirecting new messages to a folder other than the inbox.
- Incorrect IMAP or POP settings.
Possible Issues at the Sender’s End
- The sender is typing a wrong email address of the recipient.
- Trying to send the attachment in a format that is not supported in Gmail.
- Gmail messages stuck at outbox due to an unstable internet connection.
Fix emails receiving problem in Gmail 2022
No matter what the exact issue is, if you are not receiving emails in Gmail then you should fix it immediately otherwise you may miss important messages.
Step – 1: Check your Internet Connection
- First of all, you should make sure that your internet connection is fast and working smoothly.
- In case you are not connected to the internet then you should contact your Internet service provider.
- Move to the next step if your Gmail account not receiving new emails even if your internet connection is flawless.
Step – 2: Look in other Email folders
- Many a time, a new email can land in a folder other than your inbox like spam, trash etc. This usually happens due to an inbuilt spam filter of Gmail.
- You should check the spam and trash folders for the emails. In case you find the email you are looking for then you can move it to the inbox easily.
- Alternatively, you can also use Gmail search option to find the received emails in a Gmail account.
Step – 3: Check your Web Browser
- In case the new emails are not arriving in your Gmail account then you should make sure that you are using a compatible browser.
- Gmail works best with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari etc. browsers.
- If you are still not receiving email messages on Gmail then you should clear browser’s data such as cookies, caches, search history etc.
Step – 4: Disable Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
- You should not install random add-ons and extensions in your browsers. Doing so can hinder the performance of your web browser.
- Nevertheless, you can disable the extensions and add-ons one by one to see which one is stopping your Gmail account from downloading new emails.
Step – 5: Disable Antivirus and Windows Firewall temporarily
- Similarly to the Extensions or Add-ons, the antivirus/ windows firewall can also stop Gmail from fetching a new email message.
- You may disable them temporarily to see if this resolves the problem.
Step – 6: Check your Gmail filters and Block List
- You should check your Gmail account’s filter and the list of blocked users on Gmail to make sure you haven’t blocked the sender.
- In case you have blocked the sender mistakenly then you should unblock him/her immediately.
Step – 7: Make sure you are using the correct IMAP/ POP settings as per your email client.
- This is the most probable reason for your problem if you are using Gmail on other email clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird etc.
- If your Gmail can’t receive email but can send them through the email clients then it indicates that you are using the incorrect IMAP/ POP settings.
- The IMAP/ POP settings are different for all the email clients. You should check this as per the email client you are using.
Step – 8: Check Gmail Servers
- It is possible that you might be dealing with the problems because the Gmail are down in your area.
- Google has a dedicated page to check the status of its services. You must visit this page and ensure that Gmail is not down in your area.
Step – 9: Call your Sender
- If the problem still continues then it is highly possible that the problem is at the sender’s end.
- You should call the sender and ensure that he/she is not making a typing error while entering your email Id.
- Make sure that the attachment sent with the email is in a supported format.
- It is recommended to ensure that e-mail is really sent from the sender’s account and it is not stuck at the outbox folder.
What to do if Gmail not receiving emails on Android?
The ease of using your email account on a mobile phone is unparalleled. That’s why Google has designed Gmail in such a way that it works equally well on both computers and mobile phones. For android users. Google has a dedicated Gmail app. Through which you can send and receive emails with ease.
It is also true that a lot of different kinds of issues are often reported with the Gmail app as well. One problem that is quite common is Gmail application not receiving emails. But, the good thing is you can get rid of this issue easily by following the troubleshooting steps listed below.
- Firstly, ensure that your android device is connected to the internet. Also, make sure that Airplane mode is turned off on your phone.
- Check the synchronization settings on your Gmail App.
- Pick up your Android phone and open the Gmail App
- Tap the menu icon available at the top left corner
- Then, tap “settings”.
- In case you are using more than one email account then choose the account you are not getting into.
- Make sure the Sync Gmail box is checked.
- Also, check the synchronization settings on your mobile device
- Close the Gmail application.
- Open Settings app on your android device
- Tap on the “Accounts” option available under “Personal”.
- Then, touch the menu (three vertical dots icon) available at the top right corner.
- Check/ Uncheck Auto-sync data.
How can I fix Gmail not receiving emails problem on an iPhone?
Just like android, iOS devices are also prone to such a problem. Troubleshooting steps for iPhone/ iPad users are as follows.
- First and foremost, make sure that your iPhone/ iPad is connected to the Internet.
- Then, turn on the background app refresh.
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and select “Gmail”.
- Turn on “Background app refresh”.
- Check the synchronization settings on your Gmail application.
- Run the Gmail app and tap the menu icon available at the top left corner.
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose “Settings”.
- Select your Gmail account and tap “Sync Settings”,
- Finally, you just need to choose how many days for which you want to sync data.
These steps should fix the problem of not receiving Gmail messages. However, if the problem persists then you should contact Google.