Running out of Google storage space? Learn how to increase it.
Google provides its users free storage space of 15 GB to use it across the Gmail, Google Drive and Google photos. This space is 15 times more than what Google used to provide in the year 2004. Still, many of the users experience a shortage of space and find it difficult to store their data.
In case you are also experiencing the same, then you can buy additional storage space from Google. But there are certain tips and solutions that you should try before actually buying the additional storage. In this article, we are providing details about the various methods by which you can get more storage for your Gmail Account.
What is taking up your Gmail Account Storage?
Well, it is extremely important that you should know why your Gmail storage space is depleting before taking steps to get more storage for your Gmail account.
Google Drive: Not everything in your Google drive counts toward the storage limit, for example Google Docs, Google slides or Google sheets does not counts towards your storage limit. Most of the PDF’s, videos and images are the reason for Google drive storage depletion.
Google Photos: Usually photos larger than 2048 x 2048 pixel size and large videos in your Google photo are the main reasons why Gmail Account storage runs out. You may try to resize the images in order to get more storage for your Gmail Account.
Gmail: Usually the text message doesn’t occupy a lot of space but the attachment to these text messages does. Emails in your trash or spam folders also count to your storage.
How to get more Gmail Storage without buying a plan?
The Google free plan will offer you storage space of not more than 15 GB, all you can do is to see what is taking your Gmail storage space and clear it.
Some of the quick ways to free up space in your Gmail Account are as follows:
- Delete the Big Files
It is possible that a lot of big files as lying in your Gmail account as it allows the attachment up to the size of 25 MB. You may try searching “filename:mp3” or “filename:mov” in the Gmail search box to locate the .mp3 or .mov files that usually takes up the large space.
- Erase old Emails
One way to get more storage for your Gmail Account is to delete the old Emails which are no longer useful. You may Try searching “older_than:2y” in your Gmail search box to see all emails older than two years. You may consider deleting them to get more storage for your Gmail Account.
- Optimize your Google Photos
It can be a hectic task as Google does not provide an option to search or sort the Google photos by the file size. So, you need to check each photo individually to check the file size and optimize it if required.
Sometimes, Android phones back up photos that user takes to Google drive in original resolution resulting in a shortage of storage space. You can stop android to backing up your photo in original resolution to get more space in your Gmail account.
- Save or Emails somewhere else
If you can’t delete your old or larger Emails, then you can download the local copies of these emails on your computer’s hard drive. This can be done by switching on POP/IMAP settings.
You may also consider transferring these emails to another Gmail account to order to get more storage for your Gmail Account.
We hope that all the above-mentioned solution will help you increasing Gmail storage space, but in case these steps don’t get the issue resolved then you can buy additional storage space from Google.
How to buy Additional storage space from Google?
Buying more storage space for a Gmail account is quite simple. Follow the steps given to buy it easily from your computer.
- First of all, visit Google.com and log in to your Google account.
- On the right corner of your screen, you will find your image. Click on your image followed by “My Account” button.
- Under the Account preference section, click on “your Google Drive storage”.
- Now the storage you are using out of your allotted 15 GB will be visible, click on the arrow next to it.
- As soon as you click the arrow, your current plan along with other available plans will appear. Google offers different plan for 100GB, 1TB, 2TB, 10TB, 20TB and 30TB storage space.
- Choose the plan as per your requirement.
- Choose the payment option which can be Paypal, credit card, or debit card.
- Complete the payment and click “save”.
How to buy Additional storage space for Gmail through Android?
You can buy the extra storage space for your Gmail Account through android simply by following the steps given below:
- Firstly, you need to open the Google Drive App in order to get more space for your Gmail Account through Android.
- Now Tap the Menu button followed by upgrade storage.
- Select the plan which you want to buy.
- Select the payment type.
- Finally, Tap on “subscribe” button to buy the additional storage space for Gmail.
Note: The above mentioned steps are also applicable in case of buying the storage space through iPhone or iPad.
Things to know before buying extra storage space for Gmail Account:
- It may take up to 24 hours for the plan you subscribe to get active.
- The pricing policy for the plan you choose depends on your location. You will be charged as per the local taxes in addition to the price of the plan offered by Google.
- Whenever you want, you can change or even cancel your subscription.
- You can also redeem the promotional codes (if any) while making payment to Google in order to get more storage for your Gmail Account.