Create rules and filter to forward the Gmail messages
If you are not going to use your Gmail id or you just want to back up your emails and then you can forward the emails in your Gmail inbox to your new email address effortlessly. But for some users, it is not a smart idea to forward each Gmail message to a new email address because they may include a lot of spam and unnecessary messages. In such case, it is better to use Gmail filters to forward only those messages in Gmail who fulfills the certain criteria.
You can set Gmail to automatically forward all incoming emails to a new email address. Additionally, you can forward Gmail messages from a specific sender or forward Gmail messages having a certain keyword as per your wish. This tutorial will let you know the steps to set automatic forwarding in Gmail using Filters.
Forward Gmail Emails using Filter
You should follow the steps given below to forward specific messages to your new email address from your Gmail account.
- First of all, log into your Gmail Account.
- Click on settings gear icon from the top right corner.
- Select “Settings” from the drop down menu.
- Open “Forwarding a POP/IMAP” tab.
- Now, under the forwarding section, you need to click on “Add a Forwarding Address”.
- Type the email address to which you want to forward all the incoming Gmail messages and click on “Next”.
You should note that we are using POP/IMAP here because we want the messages to be automatically forwarded. You can also forward complete thread of emails manually if just need a backup of your present conversion. The forwarding email address is set, now you have to create the filters by following the steps given below:
- Open Filters and Blocked address tab and click on “Create a new filter”.
- Enter the Gmail filter parameters :
- From: In this field you can enter the email address of the person whose email you want to forward. For example: if you want to forward incoming email from email@example.com then you just have to enter this email address in the ‘From” field.
- To: Here you need to enter the email address to which you want to forward incoming emails in Gmail.
- Subject: Fill this field if you want to forward the messages having a fixed subject line.
- Has the word: Here you can enter the keyword for your filters. For example: if you enter “Important” in this field then all the email having the word “important” will be forwarded
- Doesn’t have: This field is just opposite to the “Has the word”. If you enter a certain keyword in this field then all the messages not having that keyword will be forwarded.
- After entering the filter search criteria you should click on next step.
- Now, make sure that the checkbox against “Forward it” is selected.
- Click on “Create Filter”.
That’s all you need to do to forward Gmail email using the filter. Make sure you setup filter very carefully because a mistake may result in a loss of an important email.