Block spammers in Gmail and let them know you did it
Google is very strict as far as filtering the spam messages is considered. It makes sure that you don’t have to face the nuisance of spammers while using Gmail. However, even after a very strict filtration policy, every now and then users have to deal with annoying spam email and attachment in Gmail. You can simply setup a filter to automatically send these messages to the trash folder. But still, the emails will keep coming and swamping your trash folder.
In such cases, it is better to set up a rule in Gmail that will not only block the message from a particular sender but also reply them automatically informing about the block. Unfortunately, you cannot delete and auto-reply at the same time in Gmail. But you can do something similar by which you can have spam message out of your sight and let the spammer know about it. What is it? Let’s find out in this article.
Blocking a sender and let them know in Gmail
As we have already mentioned that we cannot delete and auto-reply at the same time in Gmail. But still, we can create a filter by which we can block emails from a sender and let them know that their message is automatically blocked.
For doing so, you need to have canned responses lab enabled in your Gmail. If you don’t have canned responses lab enabled you can enable them by following the steps given below:
- Log into your Gmail account and click on “Settings” gear icon from the top right corner.
- Select “settings” from the drop down menu.
- Go to the “Labs” tab.
- The “Enable” should be selected for the “canned responses”.
Note: If you can’t find the “Canned Responses” lab, you can find it by searching “Canned” in the “Search for a lab” option.
- Finally, click on “Save Changes”.
How to block a sender and let them know about it?
After enabling the “Canned Responses” lab you can create a filter to block and “auto-reply” by following the steps given below:
- Click on “Compose” button from your Gmail home screen (You can simply press “C” to open compose window if you have keyboard shortcuts enable)
- Write a message you want the blocked senders to read whenever they send you messages on Gmail. This is similar to the out of office autoreply.
Note: Please note that the Gmail do not quote the message or text in original emails while sending automatic replies.
- Click on “More options” from the message tool bar (Downward – pointing triangle).
- Choose “Canned Responses” followed by “New Canned response” from the opened menu.
- Now you have to enter “Blocked sender auto-response” under the “Please enter a new canned response name” option. You can also enter any other template as per your wish.
- Click on “OK” after entering the template.
- Now, from the message toolbar click on “Discard draft” icon.
- Follow the steps given below if you have message from the sender you want to block in hand else skip to Step 9
- Open the email message from a sender you want to block.
- Click on “More” from the message toolbar.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Here, you need to choose “Filter messages like these”.
- Check if the email address is correct in the “From” field under “Filter”.
- Follow the steps given below if you do not have the message from a sender you want to block in hand.
- Go to the Gmail search field and Click on “Show search options” (downward pointing triangle)
- Enter the email address of the sender you want to block under the “From” field.
- Click on “Create filter with this search”.
- Ensure that “Skip the Inbox (Archive it)” and “Mark as read” is checked.
Note: You should make sure that “Delete it” should not be checked otherwise the messages will be archived without sending an auto-reply.
- Also, ensure that “Send canned response” is checked.
- Open the canned response message drop-down and select the auto-reply template you have created in step 5.
- Finally, click on “Create Filter”.
Things to Remember
Here are a few things you should remember while blocking senders in Gmail and sending auto-replies.
- You should delete your signature (if any) while creating a message for the blocked sender.
- While creating the filter you may enter “Fwd:” under subject in order to block only the forwarded messages.
- If you want to unblock the sender then you can delete the filter.
- In case you want to block only those messages who have attachment then you should make sure that “Has attachment” is checked while creating a filter.