Save your time and energy. Here’s how to add single or multiple contacts to a Gmail Group at once
Gmail groups can be extremely beneficial when you have to send a similar message to a large number of recipients. It saves the time and energy you have to spend while entering the email address of each recipient one by one. By using Gmail groups, all you have to do is enter the name of Group in the “from”, “CC” or “BCC” field and the email address of all the members of the group gets filled automatically.
In general, there are two methods by which you can add people into a group in Gmail. The first method is via contact manager which is much faster than the second one. However, the second method uses the Google contact interface which is the newer version of the contact manager. We will explain both the methods in this post.
How to add recipients to a Gmail Group via contact manager?
If you have already saved the Gmail contacts for the person you want to add into a group then you should follow the steps given below:
- First of all, open contact manager.
- Choose the contacts you would like to add in a group.
Note: You can save your time by selecting multiple contacts at once. To select multiple contacts you need to select one contact and click on other contacts while keep pressing the shift key.
- Now, you have to select the group in which you want to add the contacts. For that, you need to click on the arrow (pointing downward) next to the three-person icon from the menu available at the top of the Gmail.
In case, you want to add the contacts that are not saved in gmail address book then you can follow the steps given below:
- To start with, you need to open the contact manager.
- Now from the left hand side, select the group in which you want to add recipients.
- Click on “Add to (group name)” button. It is also represented by an icon (a person along with a + sign).
- Enter the email address of the person you would like to add or just type the starting characters of the name and Gmail will auto-fill the address.
Note: In case of multiple email addresses, you can separate them with a comma. However, Gmail may enter comma automatically after each entry.
- Finally, choose “Add” from the bottom of the text box to add the selected address to the Group.
After adding the members to the Group, you can move on to send a group email in Gmail. This method of adding contacts to a Gmail Group is older and much preferred.
How to add users to Gmail group via Google contacts?
As we have already mentioned the Google contacts is a newer version of contact manager. Now, let us tell you how to add recipients to a Gmail group by using Google Contacts.
- Firstly, open Google contacts
- Check the boxes against each and every contact you are looking to add in a group. You may also search for them by using the search box available at the top of the window.
- In case you are looking to add a person who is not in your Google contact, then you need to open the group and click on the plus (+) sign from the bottom right corner. Enter the details for the new contact.
- Now, Click on the “manage labels” button (a large right arrow) from the new menu appearing at the top of Google Contacts.
- Choose the group or multiple groups to which you want to add the contacts.
- Click on “Manage labels” button once again to save the changes.
- You cannot create a group of recipients directly from an email message. For example: if you are receiving messages from several people in a Group. You cannot simply create a new group and add all of them into this group. Instead of adding Contact to Gmail address book for each person and then add them to a group by following any of the methods mentioned earlier in this post.
- Similarly, if you have typed a lot of email addresses in “To”, “CC”, “Bcc” field of a compose message window. You cannot simply pick all the email addresses and create a new group. You need to hover your cursor over each address and add them as a contact. Then, you can add them to the desired group.