In case you are using Gmail as your main email service provider then it can be a bit difficult to keep track of new email as it doesn’t trigger a sound notification. However, there are some methods by which you can get sound notifications for a new message on Gmail. You can choose any of the methods depending upon how you access your Gmail account. For example – If you are using Gmail with MS outlook, eM client, Thunderbird or any other email client, you can add sound notification for Gmail within these programs.
The sound notifications can be extremely helpful in tracking your emails while you are away from your computer. In this post, we will provide the detailed step by step methods to add notification sound in Gmail.
How to add a sound for new Emails in Gmail?
As we already know that Gmail doesn’t have an inbuilt sound notification function, you have to install some third-party software to push a sound notification. Some famous third-party programs for pushing the sound notifications in Gmail are Gmail Notifier (a windows program) and Notifier for Gmail (a Google Chrome extension)
You should note that you might have to allow some less secure applications to access your Google account while using Gmail Notifier. You also need to ensure that the IMAP is also enabled in your Gmail’s Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings.
Enabling sound notification while using the notifier for Gmail (Chrome extension)
- First of all, you need to right-click the Gmail Notifier extension available next to the navigation bar in the Google Chrome browser.
- Select “options”.
- Now, you should scroll down to the notifications sections and ensure that the “Play alert sound for new emails” is selected.
- You can also change the notification sound from the drop-down menu.
- Just exit the window after selecting the sound and the changes will be saved automatically.
Enable Sound notification while using Gmail Notifier for Windows
- To start with, you need to right-click the program available in the notification area.
- Now, select “preferences”.
- Ensure that the option of “Sound alert” is checked.
- Finally, click on “Select sound file” to choose the notification sound you want to hear for a new Gmail message.
Note: Please note that you cannot use an MP3 or some other audio file as your Gmail sound notification using Gmail Notifier. The Gmail Notifier is compatible with WAV sound files only. In case you have an MP3 or any other sound format file then can convert it into a WAV file using a free audio file converter.
Add a Gmail Notification sound in other Email clients.
If you are using Gmail through other email clients like outlook, thunderbird etc then you can push sound notification by following the steps mentioned below:
For Outlook users
- Firstly, click on “File” followed by “Options”.
- Now, open “mail” menu.
- Select “Play a sound” option from the Message arrival section.
- If you are looking to change the sound then you need to open the “Control Panel” and search “sound”.
- Finally, click on the sound control panel applet and change/modify the “New mail notification” option under the sounds tab.
If you are a Mozilla Thunderbird user then the process to enable sound notification is similar as we mentioned for the outlook users.
For Other Email Clients
In case you are using some other email clients then you can find the options to enable the sound notifications in settings or options menu. Remember, you should use the correct sound format for the program otherwise you will not receive the sound notification.
How to enable Gmail Pop-up notification?
Some users just want a pop-up notification to display on arrival of a new message in Gmail without any sound. For enabling Gmail pop-up notification you do not need any third party software. You just need to be signed in to your Gmail account on your favorite browsers like Chrome, Safari or Firefox.
Firstly, you need to sign-in to the Gmail account of yours. After that, you just need to follow the steps given below to push popup notification for a new email on Gmail.
- Click on Setting gear icon from the top right corner.
- Click on Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Now, in the general tab, scroll down to find the desktop notification.
- Select the radio button next to “New mail notifications on”. You can select the radio button next to the “Important mail notifications on” option if you want to receive notifications only for important emails.
- Finally, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Save Changes”.
Now, Gmail will automatically push pop-up notifications on the arrival of a new e-mail.