Read and send a message using your Yahoo email address in Gmail User Interface.
If you prefer Gmail over any other webmail services then you are not alone. There are millions of other users who switch from other Email services and create a new Gmail account. However, it is not that easy to switch an email account because your sender will keep on sending you emails on your previous email id. In case you have accounts on both Gmail & Yahoo, and you prefer Gmail over yahoo mail then you can use Yahoo over Gmail User interface.
In this post, we will discuss steps to setup Yahoo in Gmail. Additionally, we will also let you know how to send email using Yahoo address in Gmail.
How to access Yahoo Mail within Gmail?
Before we move on the steps to setup Yahoo Mail in Gmail, you should make sure that you have a current Yahoo! Mail Plus subscription.
Steps to use Yahoo in Gmail are as follows:
- Log into your Gmail account using Gmail id and password
- Click on Settings gear icon from the top right corner of Gmail.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Open “Accounts and Import” tab.
- Click on “Add another email address you own/Add a POP3 mail” option under the “Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)” option.
- Enter your “Yahoo Email address” and click on “Next”.
- Provide your Yahoo! Mail Username and Password in the prescribed field.
- Ensure that pop.mail.yahoo.com is chosen under the POP Server.
Note: If you are an AT&T email user then you should select pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com or pop.att.yahoo.com. You can also type the name of the server under the POP server if the desired name doesn’t appear.
- Enter “995” under the port.
- Select “Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server” if you want to have a copy of Email in both Yahoo and Gmail. If you do not select this option the emails will be available in Gmail only not in Yahoo.
- Check the box against “Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail”.
- Click on “Add Account”.
- Now, Gmail will ask you “Would you also like to be able to send mail as – ?“. Here, you should select “Yes, I want to be able to send mail as _” and click on “Next”.
- In the “name” field you should enter the name that you want to appear in the “from” field of your Yahoo mail outgoing messages.
- Specify your needs like whether you want your yahoo mail address treated as alias or not.
- You can also specify a different email address in “reply to” field if you want replies to the email sent from your yahoo id on Gmail to go to any other address. Once you are done click on “Next”.
- Choose “Send through yahoo.com SMTP servers”.
- Enter the following information
- SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- Port: 465.
- Username: Your yahoo Mail address
- Password: You yahoo mail password.
- Ensure that “Secured connection using SSL” is selected.
- Click “Add Account” followed by “Send Verification”.
- Log in to your Yahoo Account. Open the Email from “Gmail Team” with the subject line “Confirmation – Send Mail as- “
- Copy the Verification/ confirmation code.
- Switch to Gmail and paste the confirmation code under the “Enter and verify the confirmation code” field.
- Finally click on “Verify”.
Tips and trick to remember
- While setting up Yahoo in Gmail, you can label the incoming email from yahoo by checking the box against “Label incoming message”. However, doing this is not at all compulsory.
- Google also allow you to import Yahoo contacts in your Gmail account so that you can access Yahoo contacts in gmail.
- You can also archive the incoming messages from yahoo in Gmail. In order to do this, you just need to check the box against “Archive incoming messages (Skip the Inbox)” while setting up yahoo.
- In case you encounter any error message then you should contact Gmail customer support instead of Yahoo support service.
Other Important points for using Yahoo within Gmail user interface
- Yahoo Mail plus subscription is necessary to use this feature. Simple Yahoo mail account will not work
- Apart from fetching new incoming emails, you can import existing emails from Yahoo to Gmail. The Yahoo Mail Plus subscription is not required to import existing emails.
The steps we discussed in this post are not only applicable for Yahoo but also applicable to other email services including Gmail.