Here are the most convenient methods to Setup Gmail in Outlook Express.
Both Gmail and Outlook express are immensely popular and both of them have their merits and demerits. Where Gmail is a widely acclaimed email service, MS Outlook Express is an email client that allows centralized inbox from many email addresses. What if you can combine the benefits of Gmail and Outlook Express together? Well, it is readily possible by using POP or IMAP protocols in Gmail. You just need to make subtle changes in the settings of Gmail and Outlook express and you will be able to access Gmail messages in Outlook Express.
This tutorial will provide you the step by step methods to use Gmail with Outlook Express using both IMAP and POP protocol.
Should I choose IMAP or POP to Set up Gmail in Outlook Express?
Gmail is compatible with both IMAP and POP Access. The POP access downloads each and every email from Gmail to outlook express. While IMAP is a more advanced protocol that allows smooth access to your Gmail messages with archived mail and labels (appearing as folders). However, setting up POP is considered much simple as compared to the IMAP protocol.
How to access Gmail in outlook express using IMAP?
Follow the steps given below to set up IMAP access to a Gmail account in Outlook Express.
- First of all, open menu in the outlook express.
- Click on “Add” and select “Mail”.
- Provide your name in the “Display name” field and click on “next”.
- Type your full email address under the “Email address” field and click on “next”.
- Ensure that “IMAP” is selected under the “My incoming mail server is a __ server” field.
- Enter “imap.gmail.com” and “smtp.gmail.com” in the Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server and Outgoing mail (SMTP) server fields respectively.
- Type your Gmail email address in the “Account name” and Gmail Password in the “Password” field.
- Click on “next” followed by “finish”.
- Now in the Internet Accounts window, highlight the “imap.gmail.com”.
- Click on “Properties” and open “Servers” tab.
- Confirm that “This server requires a secure connection (SSL)” is checked under both “Incoming mail (IMAP):” and “Outgoing mail (SMTP):
- Type “465” under the outgoing server (SMTP) and “993” under Incoming server (IMAP)
- Click on “Ok” and close the “Internet Accounts” window.
Note: You need to select “Yes” if you want to download all your Gmail folders in the Outlook Express.
That’s it now you can seamlessly access Gmail in outlook express using IMAP.
Access Gmail with Outlook Express using POP
Follow the below mentioned steps to fetch Gmail messages in the outlook express.
- Firstly, open “Tools” followed by “Accounts” from the outlook express menu.
- Click on “Add” and then “Mail”.
- Enter your name under “Display name” and click on next.
- Enter your Email address under Gmail address.
- Confirm that “POP3” is selected under the My incoming mail server is a __ server
- Enter following information and click on “next”.
- Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP): pop.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: smtp.gmail.com
- Enter your Gmail address under “Account Name” and Gmail password under “Password”.
- Click on “Next” and then “Finish”.
- Highlight “pop.gmail.com” in the internet account menu.
- Click on properties and open “Servers” tab.
- Here, you should ensure that “My server requires authentication” is checked under the Outgoing Mail Server.
- Open the “Advanced” Tab.
- Confirm that “This server requires a secure connection (SSL)” is checked under both “Incoming mail (IMAP):” and “Outgoing mail (SMTP):” fields
- Enter “465” under the Outgoing server (SMTP): and “995” under Incoming server (POP3):
- Click on “Ok” and “Close”.
Now, the Outlook Express will not only download the email present in your Gmail inbox but also the emails you have sent through your Gmail account.
Important Tips while accessing Gmail account in Outlook Express.
- Before setting up IMAP or POP to access Gmail in outlook express, you should make sure that IMAP and POP access is enabled in your Gmail account.
- If you are looking for automatic email classification, you should access the Gmail account through the POPFile.
The maximum limit of IMAP connections in a Gmail account is 15. If you have more IMAP connections then you will get “Too many simultaneous connections” error.