Gmail and Mac OS X are compatible with each other. Here’s how to configure both of them together.
Just like most of the email clients, the Mail App in Mac OS X allows you to add your desired email account and let you send and receive emails effortlessly. So, if you are a Gmail user looking to use your Gmail account on a Mac Device then you can do it easily with Mail App on your Mac OS X. However, by no mean, it is necessary that you got to use the Mail App in your Mac device to access Gmail. There are some other ways as well by which you can use Gmail on Mac without using Mail Application.
In this tutorial, we will let you know the different methods to access Gmail on your Mac Device.
How to Use Gmail on a Mac?
To use your Gmail account, you need to configure how you are going to access your Gmail account i.e. via IMAP or POP. Here are the directions:
- On your Mac device, open “Mail” menu from the top and select “Add account” from the drop-down menu.
- A new window will open with the name “Choose a Mail Account provider”. From this window, you have to choose Google (service provider of Gmail)
- After selecting Google, click on “continue”.
- Provide your Gmail address when asked and click on “Next”.
- Enter your Gmail password in the prescribed field and again click on “Next”.
Note: In case you have 2-step verification enabled in Gmail then you have to enter verification code received on your mobile number or authentication app.
- Now, you have to select the application you want to use with your account. Here you need to choose “Mail”. You can also select other applications like “Note” or “calendars” if you want but that’s not mandatory to select “note” or “calendars” to sync Gmail with your Mac device.
- Finally, click on “Done”
Configuring Gmail on Mail 7 in your Mac Device
If you are using Mail 7 then you need to follow a bit different steps as given below:
- Open “Mail” menu and click on “Preference” for the drop-down menu.
- Now, open the “Accounts” tab.
- Under the accounts list you need to click on + (plus sign).
- Select “Google” from the “Choose a mail account to add” window.
- Click on “Continue”.
- Enter your full name, email address under “Name:” and “Email Address:” fields respectively.
- Provide your Gmail password if asked.
- Enter the verification code if you have two-step verification enabled in your Gmail account. Alternatively, you can also use an “app-specific password” but it is not mandatory.
- Click on “Set up”.
- Check the “Mail” option under select the apps to use with <your email address>. Here, you can also sync your Gmail contact with mac along with other Google information such as Google calendar and notes.
- Finally, click on “Done”.
Access Gmail in Mac without using Mail application
As we have already told you at the starting of this post, that Mail is not the only application which allows you to access Gmail on Mac. There are many more free email clients for Mac is available online. You can download any one of these email clients of Mac and add your Gmail account to send and receive emails. Please note that the steps we have mentioned in this post are not applicable for the other email clients for Mac. However, the process will be somewhat similar and IMAP/POP server information will be the same.
Another way to use Gmail on Mac is through the Gmail.com website. You can simply enter the URL in your browser and use Gmail. While accessing Gmail though a web browser you don’t have to bother about downloading anything or configuring email settings.
- If you are not able to access Gmail on your Mac device then you should make sure that IMAP access is enabled in your Gmail account.
- If the Gmail is not working on your Mac device even though you have already enabled IMAP access then you may need to modify the email server settings in the Mail application.
- To access Gmail via POP, you must have enabled POP access in your Gmail account. You don’t have to configure Gmail POP server settings in Mail.