Wireless mouse is a huge relief for those users who spend a lot of time on the computer. It prevents you from harmful radiations because you don’t have to sit near your PC/ laptop screen. However, like all other computer equipment, a wireless mouse is also prone to some errors and issues. The malfunctioning in a computer mouse can be extremely frustrating because it is one of the most important input devices of a PC. If your wireless mouse not working then don’t you don’t have to worry at all. You can fix almost every malfunctioning in your computer with ease.
If we talk about the problems, we can say that the general malfunctioning in a wireless mouse is quite diverse in nature. You may have to face problems in navigating using your mouse or opening files and folders. In this tutorial, we will take you through the reasons why your wireless mouse isn’t working and what you can do in order to fix it.
Possible reasons why your wireless mouse stopped working
There are many possible reasons why your wireless mouse is down. It is very difficult to list down all of them in a single post. Still, we are providing some very common issues that are faced by a lot of users as given below.
- The wireless mouse is not compatible with the Windows (Operating system) you are using.
- You don’t have the required drivers in order to use Wireless mouse on your PC.
- Problem with the USB port of your PC where you need to install the USB receiver.
- Batteries in your wireless mouse are weak.
- You might be using the wireless mouse on a rough surface.
- Electrical and metal items might be interfering with the signals of the mouse.
Your Wireless mouse won’t work if there is a presence of any of the above-mentioned problems. At the same time, we should not forget that there are many other problems as well due to which wireless mouse may stop working.
How can a Fix wireless mouse that is not working?
Regardless of the reason, if you are unable to use a wireless mouse then it can be very frustrating for you. Here are some steps that you should follow if your wireless mouse is not working properly.
Step – 1: Check your wireless Mouse
The first thing you should do is to check the following things in your wireless mouse.
- Open the underneath compartment of the mouse and make sure batteries are installed properly.
- You may also take the batteries out to clean and make them from debris and install them back again.
- Also, ensure that there is no dirt on the optical port.
- Many wireless mouse has on/off switch in order to save the battery. You should ensure that the switch is not turned off accidently.
Step – 2: Check compatibility Reboot your computer system.
- None of the operating systems is immune to wireless mouse problems. It is not rare to see users complaining that their Wireless mouse not working Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 etc.
- You should make sure that your wireless mouse is readily compatible with the operating system of your PC.
- If the mouse is compatible with the operating system then you should reboot your PC and try to use the mouse again.
Step – 3: Remove and re-install unifying receiver
- A USB dongle or unifying receiver is necessary for a wireless mouse to work properly.
- Make sure that the dongle is plugged-in properly.
- If the problem continues that you should try to fix wireless mouse by changing the USB port of receiver port.
Step – 4: Check if there is any problem due to drivers
If you don’t have the required driver in your PC then your Wireless mouse won’t work properly. Here are the steps by which you can fix wireless mouse driver issues.
- Open the windows search box and enter “dev” and then choose “Device Manager” from the list.
- Choose Mouse and other pointing devices.
- After that, you should right click on your mouse and choose “Update Driver”
Now, Windows will automatically find and update wireless mouse driver. In case, windows unable to update driver automatically then you have to do it manually using the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of your wireless mouse manufacturer.
- Find and install the latest updated driver for your mouse.
- Reboot the PC if required.
Step – 5 Use the wireless mouse on a different surface
An optical mouse can work freely on most of the surface. Still, there are many instances observed when wireless mouse not moving or working on some surfaces.
- You should make sure that the surface on which you are using a wireless mouse is not too rough or glossy.
- For the best result, you should use a mouse pad.
Step – 6: Check your wireless mouse on another computer/ Laptop.
In case your Wireless mouse is not working even after following the troubleshooting steps that we have mentioned so far then it is possible that the problem is not on your mouse. There can be an issue with your computer system. In such cases, you should test the wireless mouse on a different computer. Here are the exact steps that you should follow:
- Connect the wireless mouse to another computer having a compatible operating system.
- Wait till the windows detect the new mouse and install the required drivers. You may also install the drivers manually if you want.
- If you have followed the five steps we have mentioned earlier in this post then it is quite unlikely that the wireless mouse will work on another computer.
- In case, the mouse starts working properly on another computer then you may troubleshoot wireless mouse problem using system restore.
- If the issue persists even after system restore then you should opt for a different mouse.
We hope that your wireless mouse will work properly after following the steps discussed in this tutorial. In case the wireless mouse still not working then you should check the manufacturer website for further support.